Sunday, December 12, 2010

Snow, Snow and some more Snow

Dec 6
Monday. I'm tired of thinking "this is the last" whatever! I'm ready for this semester to be over, but I don't think I'm quite ready to leave yet. I have such wonderful friends here, and I don't want to think that I might never see them again. I will return to Europe.. eventually. I just don't know when. At this point, I wouldn’t mind going home for winter break but returning back to LCC for the Spring semester. My seminar video went amazing today! It was so funny to see all the inside jokes, all the awkward situations that we all went through, solidified into a short little video. It brought back a lot of good memories, ones that I will be sure to hold on to for a very long time.

Dec 7
I had absolutely nothing due today! Such an awesome feeling. I have plenty due the rest of the week, but it's exciting to see everything slowly coming together. This was technically my last actual class for Social Research, one class I am certainly not upset about celebrating the "last" day for! My "true" last class consists of taking an exam for this class, something that will make my finals week slightly easier. Instead of a test, I have a presentation about my research proposal that I have been working on with a partner all semester. I will be happy when we’re done with this once and for all.

And today was our final Tri-S meeting, which I finally remember all three S's… Spirituality, Sustenance and Soup! We had burritos tonight which were beyond delicious. And for dessert: brownies with chocolate chips and melted marshmallows on top! The topic for tonight was about re-entry into the States (or Canada for Derek). I don't know what to feel. At this point, I am ready to be back, but I am not ready to leave. It's a weird balance that I can't seem to find, how can you make the transition to losing such amazing friends any easier?! I know I'm not going to find an answer to that, but that is what's laying on my heart now. So many thoughts are running through my head, and I can't keep up with them. 11 days. That's all I have left. I don't look at it as a countdown, I look at it as moving towards the next chapter of my life that at this moment, I'm not ready for. I do promise to come back to Europe. I don't know when, and I don't know how, but I will come back.

Dec 8
With two more papers handed in today, this week is looking pretty good so far. Now just to handle studying for my last Social Research exam tomorrow, and I can breathe a quick sigh of relief before final's week horrors set in. But to help relieve some of this tension, I went out to Max Coffee with Aušra, not that we've been planning this for two weeks or anything (I never seem to get anything done when I make plans with people….).

And to all my friends back in the States who may not have been keeping up with my blog this entire time, take note of Sergey as he claims to devote all Spring semester to looking through my pictures and this blog. Now that is dedication to our friendship :). Better late than never, right?

Dec 9
After 4 months, I’ve finally found the secret to getting people to talk to me: the number game. This is when you send me a number, and I write something about you (usually sometime nice). Now, if only I had known this a few months ago... Anyway, sadly enough, the Study Abroads got together one last time to reminisce about our time spent here together. We returned to HBH, the restaurant that we first came to back in August! It feels like such a long time ago, but yet the time has blown so quickly. It’s one of my favorite sayings: the days drag on forever, but the weeks fly by. We had a white elephant exchange, and all I have to say is that it was a great way to end our time together.

Dec 10
It’s snowing. Like, snowing snowing. I keep watching people dig out their cars, but I would not want to drive on these roads. But having the choice between snow flying in my face or my warm car sliding on ice? Not entirely sure which one to choose. But, I don’t have a car, so I have no choice. Blizzard, here I come… Great news! The blizzard stopped right as I had to walk to campus! Yay! Anyway, after my one and only class of today (my other two were canceled, double yay!), I hung out in the computer lab for four hours waiting for Zaza’s wonderful “sweet treat” night. He made rice with dried fruit, including raisins, apricots and pineapple. It was very tasty.

Dec 11
I made Steph wake up early on a Saturday morning to go watch the LCC Moose Basketball team play. They were playing at the auditorium right by Karklu, so I really had no excuse to not go to this one (I can’t believe this is my first basketball game..). Our guys killed the other team, 104 to 61 :). To make things even better, our captain scored from behind mid-court at the buzzer of the first quarter. I think they should make that a 4-point shot, just to make it a little more “IN YOUR FACE!” worthy.

After the game, I headed off to Akropolis to get another suitcase so I can start packing this week :(. BUT, it’s black with dark pink flowers, so needless to say it’s adorable and totally worth it. I already started packing some stuff, and so far so good. I need to find a scale somewhere so I can weigh these bags, but I’m not too worried. I came here with one 45lb suitcase, a 30lb carry-on, and my purse (that also smuggled in my laptop) and my two winter coats. What am I leaving with? A potential weight of: two 50lbs suitcases, a 40lb carry-on backpack, and my purse (which will once again smuggle my laptop on) while wearing my winter coat this time. I think I’ll be alright…
I love ice skating. Knock on wood, I have yet to fall while skating, but that almost became false tonight. There was something wrong with my left skate which hindered me from crossing my feet over during turns, or skate regularly at all. And to add to my struggle, I was trying to help Zaza stay on his feet, which I was able to accomplish for about 90% of the time. It was such a fun night, and everyone had a great time. When I get back to the States, someone needs to go ice skating with me. I miss it.

Dec 12
My morning began with making pancakes (I like this tradition). I got to use up the rest of my flour and baking powder that I really didn’t want to have left over. I need to find some people who might like to take whatever food/spices I end up having at the end of the week. Although my plans for making sniego vyras (snowmen!) today didn’t quite work out, I have quite enjoyed watching the progression of snow build up the side of my window. And, just for your information, there is actually very little sarcasm in that statement. I have both parts of my Lithuanian final tomorrow, and then Motivation on Tuesday, the two finals I am not looking forward to the most. It needs to be 5pm on Tuesday ASAP!

Monday: Lithuanian Verbal Exam (must speak for 5 minutes on a given topic and answer questions) and Written Exam
Tuesday: Motivation and Emotion
Wednesday: morning- Social Research; afternoon- Sociology
Thursday: World Literature
Friday: Pack and Party ;)
Saturday: Flight back to the States

My day also ended with eating pancakes. Karklu Christmas party = awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment