Sunday, December 5, 2010

Yra Gruodis! (It's December!)

Nov 29-30
These were preparation days. I finished my two papers that are due tomorrow, and even finished one that’s not due until next week! AAAAnd, I even half-finished another paper for next week. Well, I have 5 due, so I figured I would hate my life a lot less if I finished some now. Now I just have to prepare for my Lithuanian presentation that I’m dreading.

Dec 1
I love how I was the only one today for Lithuanian who after I presented was asked a question by every single person in class. The guy who went before me got a couple of questions, and the group of three that went after me got the same. But Rodvyda went person by person and forced them to ask me a question as I stood cringing at the front of the room. At least it’s the last presentation, besides our oral portion of our final...

I finally caved today and got a bus pass, but honestly, it is getting way too cold to walk half an hour to and from Karklu anymore. Yes, when the temperature gets past –10 (approaching single digits), I think I deserve to be able to still feel my nose after being outside for an extended period of time. But I’m super glad that I dragged my huge winter coat with me from the States! It is definitely coming in handy!

Dec 2
Happy Hanukkah Lauren and all my other Jewish friends out there!! That’s pretty much the most exciting part of today, other than my little rehearsal for the Christmas program that I’m singing in. I know, the poor audience, but it’s with the majority of the study abroad group singing, “It Came Upon A Midnight Clear.” Fun Fact: That song was written by Edmund Sears, a guy from Boston.

Dec 3
The Christmas Program went awesomely today! The choir sounded amazing (shout out to Derek, James, Martha, Gabby, Nastya, and Maksat)! I’m definitely getting into the spirit of Christmas (to those who know me, I was singing Christmas carols on Thanksgiving...), and I even got my picture taken with Santa! But this got me thinking about what I won’t be able to do when I get home:
            My mom is decorating the tree without me. I doubt the boys will help too much, and it was just one of those things that I liked to do so that I could put all the ornaments that were about me in the front of the tree and all those about my brothers in the back ;)
            There will be no Christmas picture of the four kids this year since I am conveniently missing. Though that means I won’t have to deal with all that fun sibling love of waiting for Mom to take the flipping picture even though she continuously says “last one!”
            I miss having TV so that I could watch the 25 days of Christmas (which apparently they extended? I dunno…). Maybe someone will TiVo some for me?
            I am going to have so much present wrapping once I get home! I have only a week before Christmas to unpack, find all my gifts, wrap them, and then wrap presents for my mom and brothers (ugh Jeff...). That is going to be one crazy week.
            Although I miss all these things, I am more than happy to miss them for one year in order to be in Lithuania. It is definitely worth it :)!

P.S. It snowed today only because I e-mailed Mom saying that it hasn’t snowed since Thanksgiving. Sorry Klaipėda...
Dec 4
As happy as I am about it being Saturday, I’m not happy about the fact that it means that another week has gone by. I’m running out of time left here, and I’m sad to be going home, though I do miss it a lot now. I have two weeks left here, and I honestly can’t believe it. This time has flown by, and it all feels like a blur now. I have so many happy memories to look back on with some truly amazing people that I have met along the way. You guys will always hold a very special part of my heart. I'm not even gone yet and I miss you already...

Dec 5
I got to make buttermilk pancakes for Steph, Mike and Mārtiņš (only cause I wouldn’t let Steph help me cause I finally knew exactly what I was doing). They turned out beautifully, absolutely golden and super fluffy. We had raspberry jam and peanut butter to go along with them, and even some brown sugar. Delicious! After breakfast we headed over to Akropolis so that Mārtiņš could find some boots, and the rest of us could find something for our white elephant present exchange. Now after all that procrastinating, hello World Lit paper...

No comments:

Post a Comment